Pedraza is a medieval walled town, located 37 km (23 Miles) northeast of Segovia, with a resident population of 467 people (2011). It was declared Historical Complex in 1951.
Thanks to some clay pots found, it showed that this place existed 400 years BC. Also it is known that it was occupied by the Muslims, until it was reconquered by the Christians. By this time, between the 10th and 11th century, it was repopulated achieving its peak in the 15th, century.
The town has many medieval houses and palaces belonging aristocrats, as one can see on the coats of arms outside the old constructions.
There is a castle built in the thirteenth century, and rebuilt in the fifteenth century by Garcia Herrera. In the early sixteenth century the Dukes of Frías, Fernandez de Velasco Constables of Castile, renovated the castle again, by adding the great defensive wall, next to its perimeter which is surrounded by a cliff.
On weekends and holidays, many people from Madrid, go to Pedraza to enjoy the famous roasted lamb as it was made centuries ago.